Sunday, February 3, 2013

Tobi-Wan-Kenobi

A few weeks ago now, Toby and I went to the theatre to watch Giggle and Hoot live. (An Australian children's show, that I actually quite like)
Toby loved it, he is the perfect age for that kind of thing now. (Unlike the time we went to watch the Gruffalo, where only about five minutes in he started crying and we had to leave).
This time he really enjoyed himself, joining in with it all. Shouting out 'he's behind you' and all that kind of stuff.




I think the theatre struck a chord with him, and ever since he has been trying to re-create it at home.
Last week we spent a whole morning making paper puppets, all Toby's idea. After we had finished them he was determined he wanted to make a little theatre so he had do a show for all of his toys. I tried to fob him off, (there are dishwashers to be emptied and loads of washing to put on!!) but he went and found himself an old box and persuaded me to help him cut it out and draw a backdrop on the computer to stick in the back. I soon got into the swing of it, and we had a great time together creating our cowboy theatre.
Once it was finished we went into his bedroom where he lined all his toys up in rows, shouting 'Come and get your tickets! Tickets for sale!' We turned the lights down low, and made a show together.


He has even invited our neighbours to watch his theatre show. I helped him make tickets and he sold them at the door. We all sat on his bed with the lights off, and dressed as Obi-wan Kenobi he did a light saber display for us. (With a light up wand I bought for him).
It was very impressive.




And this weekend, he asked for me to make him a plait, so he can look like a true Padawan ( a Jedi in training, I am told) They all wear a long braid, tucked behind their ear.
I managed to find some wool that matched his hair colour, made a plait and attached it to a hair clip.
He was pretty proud wearing it, and insisted on wearing it on our trip to Red Hill market. Dressed in his full Jedi costume, with his braid. I loved watching grown men spot him, a smile and a special look passes on their faces. As if remembering their own childhoods, and that special innocence that allows you to pretend and dream.



1 comment:

crafty lady said...

Adorable!! The theatre is brilliant and I love Toby's outfit- he really looks the part especially the plait!! xxxxxxx